East Frederick Rising is excited to bring you up to date information on what is going on in East Frederick and the impact you are helping us make on the community.
ADDRESSING EAST ST TRAFFIC WITH AN EAST-WEST CONNECTOR
We know that East Street gets bumper-to-bumper traffic morning and evening. We’re talking to East Frederick stakeholders to understand their needs and concerns and working with the City to identify additional traffic arteries. Several options are being evaluated, with a possible East-West Connector via an extension of 5th St top on our list.
SUPPORTING LOCAL BUSINESSES THROUGH FAÇADE IMPROVEMENT
EFR’s Façade Improvement program provides matching funds to East Frederick businesses for projects that range from new paint to full remodels of the façade of their building. Recent recipients include the Frederick Fairgrounds (updated signage) and FoodPro (masonry repairs, new windows, lighting, signs, and paint). Soon we will help the owners of Café Bueno fund renovation of their new location. That project is a perfect example of how we like to use this program: for projects that repurpose old historic buildings, breathing new life into them.
EAST STREET SMALL AREA PLAN
Members of the EFR Board participated on the steering committee the City formed, providing input, representing both our vision and advocating for the stakeholders in East Frederick. We are now taking to heart our role in being the catalyst for delivering on those plans to create better traffic plans, improve pedestrian safety, and beautification while maintaining a place for existing businesses along the corridor and their potential growth.
OUT & ABOUT IN EAST FREDERICK
In case you haven’t heard, the Great Frederick Fair is almost here! The Fair is Frederick County’s single largest event, featuring 18,000 competitive exhibits, ranging from livestock, home arts, farm & garden to 4-H/FFA. It’s also one of the oldest fairs. 2019 will be the 157th. The Great Frederick Fair will take place from Friday, September 13 to Saturday September 21, open everyday until 10:00pm.
The 2019 music lineup brings together Old, New and Americana Country, Classic and Southern Rock, three nights of thrilling Motorsports and Contemporary Christian music at affordable prices.
Tickets are available online at www.GFFair.com/tickets. You can also contact the Box Office Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11:00am – 2:00pm at 301-695-3928.
EFR is proud to support our community and its initiatives. We invite you to check out these events where you can show your support East Frederick and its businesses:
- Pop-Up Farmer’s Market / Every Thursday until Sept. 26 , 3:00-6:00 pm / 113 N East St / More info
- Shab Row Third Music Saturday / Aug. 17, 5:00-8:00 pm / Shab Row / This month featuring The Hazards / More info
- “Future Sound” Electronic Music/ Aug. 17, 8:00 pm – 12:00 am / Spinner’s Pinball Arcade / More info
- Beer Tasting / Aug. 30, 4:00-7:00 pm / Somketown Brewery at District East / More info
- Comedy Night / Sept. 4, 7:00 pm / Rockwell Brewery
- Renn Fest in the City / Sept. 7 , 12:00-5:00 pm / Everedy Square & Shab Row / More info
- Shab Row Third Music Saturday / Sept. 21, 5:00-8:00 pm / Shab Row / This month featuring Ante Up / More info
- Health & Wellness Fair / Oct. 5 / Everedy Square & Shab Row / More info coming soon