Frederick is uniquely positioned to become an economic hub of mid-Maryland, and East Frederick presents an opportunity to conceive and realize a bold modern concept of adaptive re-use, revitalization and urban development. The East Frederick Area spans from the eastern edge of the City of Frederick through the historically industrial part of the City and eastward to the Monocacy River (including the Frederick Fairgrounds and the Frederick Municipal Airport.) As this area includes one of the largest reserves of industrial and light industrial properties in the county, the potential for innovative mixed-use redevelopment is unprecedented in the region.
East Frederick is envisioned to serve as a technology incubator, jobs center, transportation hub, and marquee urban neighborhood. Development is in the early stages now and will continue over the next 30-50 years. The mission of East Frederick Rising is to guide the vision and planning processes to ensure that the extraordinary potential of East Frederick is fully realized.
EFR’s work is guided by the following planning principals:
- Economic growth through large and small business creation that generates new, sustainable jobs for the region.
- Creation of place in which safe, comfortable, and appealing social activity centers are developed for workers, residents, and tourists.
- Strategic land consumption that emphasizes efficient and appealing infill of vacant or redeveloped areas in EFRs designated geographic scope of interest.
- Technologically advanced and environmentally sensitive infrastructure that creates a variety of transportation links and efficient access to communications and utilities
- Livable streets which maintain and leverage the City’s historic charm with a pedestrian focus.
- Compact, mixed use development to serve regional economic, social, and cultural needs.
- A long-term focus and sense of stewardship to create an environment which future generations will value.
- Monocacy Valley Canning Building
- Union Mills
- Monocacy Gateway
- Renn Farm
- Downtown Hotel